Friday, July 31, 2015

Week Three

I just got back from the São Paulo temple. There is one 30 minutes away in São Paulo and one in Campinas about an hour and a half away. It was fun. We usually do endowment sessions after service in the morning at São Paulo because of the shorter drive. Campinas we go straight into a session.

This week my district went out proselyting. Everyone has to go out with three Books of Mormon and hand them out.  We took a bus on Wednesday, went to a separate part of the city and we walked around this park outside of the train/bus station and talked to people. It went pretty well. Me and Elder Baker would take turns introducing ourselves, and talking about the book, challenging them to read it. The second guy we got to talked to us for about 20 minutes. He kept going on about work, and his wife, and a lot of really random things, he was really genuine though. Probably an ideal investigator. I understood about 60% of what he was saying but when he would speak quickly I was unable to catch it all. I couldn't really respond to a lot of it though. I was surprised at how easy it was to talk to people. People here are very accepting, and love to talk about Jesus Christ so that was great.

This experience has made me more anxious to go to Maceió now. I really want to see what it is like there, and what the people are like. One of the Irma's here is from Maceió, she said it is very Lindu and that the people are tranquill, and that it is a peaceful place. People there have a different accent than the people in São Paulo. They pronounce their R's and S's differently. My language is definitely not ready to leave though. I am getting much better at teaching lessons with our "investigators" but I am still unable to express certain feelings, and explain things in depth.

Time is a very strange thing here. The saying is days feel like weeks, weeks feel like days. The days are long, but the weeks go by really fast. I haven't been here for very long, but it feels like I've been her for 2 months, but it hasn't dragged. I think it's because of the amount of work we do with learning a new language. I've learned so much about an entirely different culture and their language which is why it feels that way. If that even made any sense.

Until next week,
Luke







No comments:

Post a Comment